If you’re reading this post you are probably expecting so first off, CONGRATS!! This topic was requested a few times so i’m going to do my best to include essentials + things that worked for me with my previous two births. Packing a hospital bag for your first delivery is kind of tricky, because you really don’t know what exactly you should take / will need! For example, when I was going in to deliver Sabella; I wondered do I need diapers, wipes, formula?! Lol, the answer is NO!! Do not pack any of this, the hospital will provide you with all of these things and plenty of them.
What to pack for MOM:
- Hospital paperwork + ID / Insurance card – If your hospital has the option, you should pre register online. This is really helpful and you won’t have to wait the day of.
- Book / Magazines / iPad – You never know how long you may be in labor or at the hospital post delivery.
- Phone charger – A long 10 ft charger is a good idea, here is a great one.
- Robe – Great during and after labor.
- Slippers – Because no one wants to walk around without any on!! Choose a pair that is easy to slip on and off.
- Socks – These were a must for me.
- Toiletries – Don’t forget these!! Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and your other must have skincare items!
- Nursing bra – IF you plan to breastfeed. I didn’t breastfeed Sabella or Hayden (by choice), and don’t plan to breastfeed number 3, but for those of you who do – these are probably a good idea.
- Comfy clothes – especially for the day you go home (a loose dress or very loose pants + top). I wore a gown the entire time I was in the hospital.
- Water cup – Your own if you have a favorite. Stay hydrated!!
- Pillow – If you have a favorite or just one that is comfier.
- Bath towel – I took my own, but I typically travel with my own bath towel too. If you’re fine with what the hospital provides (they are kind of thin and small), you won’t need to pack one!
- Pediatrician’s contact info – They will ask you for this!
What to pack for PARTNER:
- Phone charger
- Laptop / iPad
- Camera if you plan to take your own pictures!
- PJs + clothes for other days.
- Bath towel / Pillow / Blanket unless you’re okay with what the hospital provides.
- Snacks!! – Also if you plan to utilize the vending machines, then tons of change.
What to pack for BABY:
- Going home outfit
- Car seat
- Burp cloths
- Pacifiers – I had a no pacifier rule for both Sabella and Hayden + plan to with number 3 (I tried not to introduce a paci unless I had to and if I did, I took it away by 3 months). This is a personal preference, but if you choose to do this, the nurses will follow along and have a “no paci” sign on your baby’s bassinet the entire time! You also do not HAVE to take your own pacifiers unless you have a specific type you want your baby to use, because the hospital will provide these!
Hope this post was helpful!! If you have any other questions or suggestions, feel free to comment below or reach out 🙂